Monday, November 05, 2007

Owning up to my failings, and making yet another promise

This blog promised to be insatiable; always imbibing its prolific author’s writings but never getting its fill. It was meant to provide everything from serious insights to doses of humour that left the readership begging the author to do it again and again.

That, dear reader, was the dream at the blog’s birth on August 28, 2006. The reality, as you can see, has been different. Starved off its author’s pearls of wisdom and nonsensical rumblings, the blog has since withered to near extinction. And I hang my head in shame for letting that happen.

So much for being [or is it claiming to be?] a writer.

Anyway, the will to share my thoughts with the world – as you might have realised – is there alright. It is now the consistency and discipline, two traits I believe I have sufficient doses of, which I somehow have to summon in order not to fail at the second asking.

When I posted my first piece in August last year, I was still finding my footing in this industry. Now, a little over a year since then, and having learnt a few more lessons that should keep me in good stead as I continue my development, I am certainly better prepared to sustain a struggle on this particular front than ever before.

In the last year, as one can imagine, a lot of water has passed under the proverbial bridge. I have swapped media battlefields from Ruth Towers to Crested Towers, made my first forays into lands foreign, and honed a few of my skills under the guidance of some of the most inspirational field commanders in this industry.

Indeed, I have made some useful strides; but – more importantly – I believe I have not got ahead of myself. I know that there are still mistakes to be made, battles to be lost, and lessons to be learnt down this road. Such roads are never meant to be rosy, but I feel better prepared to ride the storms that will come my way.

This blog is meant to provide me with a platform to put my thoughts to PC, and in the process make some of those mistakes, lose [as well as win] some of the battles, and, above all, learn the lessons that should enable me become the writer I aspire to be.

This is an open forum so I look forward to receiving feedback – both the nice and not-so-nice. If I am writing crap, just give me a kick up the backside. It could hurt, but at least it will ensure that I don’t lose sight of the objective that I set out to achieve.

So, once again I invite you, dear reader, to join me down this road on a journey that has begun all over again.

No comments: